Wednesday, June 6, 2012

the three layered chocolate cake at the end of the finish line

Hebrews 12:1-3 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

I am pretty tired today from playing basketball so this is going to be short. I have this sticky in my bible from a sermon by Greg Thompson (speaker down at Trinity Presbyterian in cville, who also happens to be lone of my top 5 favorite speakers of all time). This is what it says:

Running the Race of Faith
Heb 12:1-3
Step 1: look at those who have ran the race, the heroes of faith "the cloud of witnesses" v1
(I assume this is referring to all of the characters in the bible and for some reason I just imagine Job, David, Paul, Moses, Abraham, and Elijah standing on a cloud. Also, they all have awesome beards.)

Step 2: Shed the excess sin/hindrances weighing you down v2
(makes sense to me; it's impossible to run with things weighing you down)

Step 3: Focus on the perfect role model that we can turn to always, Jesus Christ
Fix your eyes on Him
Focus and look forward to the redemption of the cross
(reminds me of how back when I was little and fat, whenever I had to run the mile in PE, I would always imagine a three-layered chocolate cake at the finish line as something to motivate me)

Step 4: Consider Christ and be encouraged Fix your eyes on Him, look heavenward and shed the hindrances!
("For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are -  yet without sin. 16 Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may RECEIVE mercy and FIND grace to help us in our time of need" Heb 4:15 crucial find d chao)

you know how when you rediscover a song you listened to on repeat back in the day is amazing? I think rediscovering/ re-finding grace kind of gives me the same goosebumps.


1 comment:

  1. Really great thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete